Thursday, August 4, 2011

Getting Ready!

We had another appointment with Dr. Tumaneng on Tuesday, and all went well. She asked if I had been having any contractions. I told her I had been having Braxton-Hicks and I thought I had had an actual contraction the other night, but it was just one, so probably not. I have been having those "I feel like I'm going to get my period" cramps for a couple days, and then they started to turn into "I feel like I have my period" cramps. While we were at the cabin on Saturday, I believe I counted 5-6 Braxton-Hicks contractions. Of course, driving down a bumpy dirt road sure helped I'm sure! :)

She listened to baby's heart rate and said it was between 125-130 bpm. Then she measured my tummy at 33 cm. I was kind of concerned, as I measured at 35 cm two weeks ago, but she said that it looks like baby has dropped, and that is probably why. When she did the internal exam, she said that baby had definitely dropped and was at a +1 position, and that I was about 60% effaced, but not dilated.

I wish I had something to compare this to, but with Danni, I never had any of these measurements (sans the heart rate). Though with Danni, I didn't have any contractions either, so maybe she never engaged anyway. 

I then asked her about when they decide to schedule a c-section if I haven't spontaneously gone into labor. I told her what Dr. Ledella had said last week at the ultrasound about scheduling one at 39 weeks, but she shook her head and disagreed. She said that they would let me go to 42 weeks at least, but they would probably order an ultrasound to check on baby's well being. (Which I've heard many people who are "overdue" have had done... typically a biophysical profile and non-stress test, which I had plenty of with Danni.)

We had forgotten to print out our birth plan to go over with her, but since we had a copy in Google Docs, Adam was able to pull it up on his phone and scroll through it for her to read. I was happy to hear her say, "Yep, that's what we normally do," for just about everything on our plan.

I think we are just about set to have her. We got pre-registered at the hospital, have our bags packed (though I keep finding more stuff that I just need to have and adding it to our bag). We have the car seat in the car, however, on the way home from our appointment we stopped at the fire station to have it checked out. As we were walking in Fr. Bob was driving by and yelled hello out his window to Adam (I'm surprised he recognized us, as our parish is pretty large, though Adam mentioned that we have talked to him a couple times). When we got around the corner, I asked one of the firemen standing around if they were able to check car seat installment, but apparently our city isn't able to, so he gave us a couple other places to check.

So I think the only things we have left are to get the car seat checked, and to pick a pediatrician for her. Though, her room is still not finished (what a horrible mother I am... it wasn't finished for Danni either!), and my mom said she would make a sheet for the bassinet we have, since we can't seem to find any in the stores. So she has the bottom of our bassinet, and our baby girl won't have a place to sleep until we get it back! (Hint, hint, mom, if you're reading this!) :)

No comments: