Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Looks Like a Rainbow: Danni & Nora

When I was pregnant with Nora, I was concerned about what she would look like. When Danni was born, I thought she was the most beautiful baby girl. Well, now that I was pregnant with another girl, how could she be more beautiful? I guess she'd have to look like her sister. But if she looked like her sister, would I want to cry every time I looked at her? I certainly didn't want that!

When Nora was born, she always seemed to have a "mad face," but once she outgrew that I found that she was beautiful too. She looked a lot like her big sister, but not so much that she looked like she was her big sister; just enough to be called sisters.

Several times, when I am getting Nora dressed or I'm changing her or giving her a bath, I see a red line down the middle of her chest. I'm not sure what causes it, as there's nothing in her clothes that would make the line. It doesn't look like it's irritating her skin or anything. It just looks like a mark, or an old scar. Whenever I see it on her, I think immediately of Danni. If she were here with us, she would have a scar right there on her chest from her heart surgeries. I always smile a sad smile and think of my little 2-day-old baby and what she would be doing right now...

...taking a bath with her little sister, would she be splashing her and would Nora get mad, or maybe she'd splash her right back and they two of them would giggle and laugh...

...would she want to help change the baby's diaper or want to help get her dressed, or maybe she'd be upset that I wasn't paying attention to her at that moment...

...would she run up to her daddy when he gets home from school and cling to his leg, or maybe give him big kisses and hugs, or ask him to read her a book, or maybe she'd be like Nora and after being crabby all day, light up with smiles when he gets home...

All these things I guess we'll never know...

No comments: