Monday, February 13, 2012

Beautiful Eyes

We were at church on Saturday, and Adam was trying to get Nora packed up in her car seat, when the older couple in front of us turned around and commented on our daughter. They said she had beautiful eyes. I really wanted to say, "Just like her big sister," but didn't. I don't think they wanted to get into much of a conversation or know our story, but I wanted to tell it. When I turned around, another little old lady came over and made a comment about Nora as well. Of course, again, I wanted to say something about Danielle, but didn't. She said she'd been seeing us in church since we got pregnant with her and just wanted to come over and say hi.

On our way home I was talking to Adam about how, if we had stayed at Holy Trinity, the little old ladies and the people that sat around us would probably know our story. They saw me pregnant with Danielle, they may or may not have seen the funeral announcement in the bulletin and figured out it was our daughter, they would have seen us show up for mass week after week without a baby. Some would have asked, some wouldn't have. Then they would have seen me pregnant again, and us showing up with a baby. The people at St. Pat's don't know (sans the one couple that mom, Jeff, and I talked to at Sunday donuts when we first joined). I guess I just figured that everyone that would be in our lives for the rest of our lives would know about Danielle, but as we start meeting new people and going new places, they don't. I'm not sure how I feel about that yet.

No comments: