Thursday, April 7, 2022

Encounters with God: The Bronze Statue Smiled

One of our churches is doing a "School of Prayer" during Lent. Father talks about prayer in the Bible and how Jesus and others have prayed, and adds in some Catechism. Then someone gives a testimony about prayer in their life. And we end with time to pray in front of Jesus. 

Lately I haven't felt as close to Jesus as I have at different points in my life. Most of those points were during the trials in my life. As I was meditating and talking with Jesus last week during the "School of Prayer," I found myself telling Jesus of my desire to be as close to Him as I was during those trials. Then I realized what I was kind of asking for... more trials! So I told Him that I did NOT want Him to send me any more trials! And as I looked up at the bronze statue of the crucified Jesus in our church, I saw Him smile at me. Then I realized I was telling Jesus what to do, and laughed at myself.

You see, God thinks He's funny, because as I sit here typing this, I'm waiting to be connected to an urgent care virtual visit. I have four puking children today, two of whom like to puke within minutes of each other. It's uncanny how in sync they are with each other! I guess I'm getting what I asked for... I've been praying a lot more earnestly since the first child started puking two days ago. (Thankfully she's doing better today!) 


No comments: